Saturday, February 7, 2015

Books, Books, Books

Lately, I've been hooked on novels. When I was younger, I subscribed to the notion: why read a novel if you could watch the movie? Years later I'm finding I'm enjoying the books more. The point of view achieved in written word drastically changes the feel of the story. Even if a movie happens to follow the book quite nicely, you miss out on all the inner thoughts characters have that drive a story. When you find a good book, the words paint a very vivid picture. I now believe movies make a good supplement. Several of the series I hope to read this year (see at the bottom of this post) actually have movies or tv series in the works.

If you haven't heard of Goodreads, it's great and check it out; kinda like a Facebook for book lovers. There are book clubs with reading challenges galore. You can set and track a yearly reading goal (this year I've set mine to 100). The app has even has a barcode scanner so you can track physical books as well. 

There are so many books to choose from. I've gotten to the point where I do judge a book by is its  cover. Professional covers typically means professional work. 99% of the time if I like the book's cover art, I love what I find within its pages. Something about the colors and design matches the mood I'm in. One of the features I love on Goodreads is Listopia where people make book liststhat follow a particular theme such as stunning dresses on the cover or takes pace in a boarding school (including magical ones). People vote on the ranking of those books in each list so the best make it to the top. It's a great way to find new reads.

If you're into epub format books and organizing your digital library with Calibr, the "Marvin" reading app is fantastic! There is so much customization available (including textured backgrounds, an assortment of fonts and auto night mode which you choose the shade). Every word you define gets added to a word list which is viewable by book or your whole library. You can even view and edit metadata on the go. What I love best is the ability to sync my notes and highlights with calibre so it's always backed up.

The series I hope to tackle this year (and probably the next) in no particular order include:


I'm also pretty excited The Hier comes out May 5th (the fourth book of The Selection series).

Happy Reading! 


No comments: